After our romp to the Rubin, it's time to return to the classroom and put the focus on our own creations. This week, we're returning to regular group critique sessions! Join us in Room 703G with whatever you're working on in class or for the CA Zine, whether you've got a plot outline to discuss, thumbnails to sharpen, or pencils to ponder.
This Friday, 1/27
6:30 - Room 703G
Bring work to share, in-progress or finished!
We'll have three groups: developed comics, story pitches, and sketches/illustrations. Check under the cut for specifics, coming events, and other business, including information regarding the CA Zine and the Fresh Meat Poster Search.
Don't forget to come prepared!
If you're bringing pages to critique, be sure to have something to take down notes on. Sticky notes that you can place on the comic to write and draw on are highly recommended, as are photocopies that your peers can read along from and scribble on.
Be sure to bring drafts of scripts, outlines, thumbnails, or any other prep material for the Story Critique. Try to memorize a concise pitch that will draw your peers into your story!
If you're showing off sketches and illustrations and you're interested in working on our Fresh Meat poster, leave us with a photocopy or two with your work and contact information.
- CA Meeting - Group Critique
- CA Meeting - Draw-Off
- We need you to make the poster for Fresh Meat 2012! Jump over to our submissions page to find out how you can help advertise for our department's biggest annual event!
- Want to see your work distributed in print? CA is developing a new print magazine! The new CA Zine is looking for submissions of 1 to 6-page self-contained comic stories for its first issue, aiming to be printed by MoCCA Fest '12. Submit photocopies of your comic to the senior cartooning studios or as 72 dpi files to blisterfish (at) gmail (dot) com by mid-March. More information to come!
- The CA Blog returns! Check us out Tuesday, January 24th for new series, helpful tutorials, and more reviews!
- Do you want publicity for your minicomics? Enter the Mini Reviews Box. Bring your minicomics to our meetings or the Senior Studio to submit them for review on the Cartoon Allies blog. Each week, bloggers Eric and Hayley will randomly select a student's mini from the box and offer readers a preview of the comic and their thoughts. We hope to improve student promotion and give members a space to show their work to a greater audience.
- If you would like to be listed on our Members page, email your name, year, website url, and 50x50px icon to email@example.com with the subject line "Active Member [Name]". As we collect a nice group of links, we'll update our long out-of-date Active Members list.
- If you're interested in helping us distribute Cartoon Allies event posters, let us know by email or at the next meeting. We need posters for the Fresh Meat festival!
- The SVA Library now has access to a new Underground Comix Database. Check it out!
Stay strong, Allies!